The Last Chance Slam is the final opportunity for poets to qualify for the last spot in the competition. Any poet who is not registered to compete can compete for a chance to win complimentary registration, paid for by Poetry Slam Inc.
Location: The Brooklyn Commons | 388 Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn, NY
Date & Time: March 9, 2016 Check in at 6:50pm sharp. Doors Open at 7:00pm
Tickets: SOLD AT DOOR, no pre-sale
Last Chance Slam Rules
There will be 20 poets competing for the title of Last Chance Champion.
- 10 slots are first come
- 10 slots are lottery based
- Each poet must have three poems: 3 minute, 1 minute, 2 minute.
- There will be elimination every round.
- Poems must follow the rules of Poetry Slam Inc.
- Each poem must be of the poet’s own construction;
- Each poet gets (3/1/2) minutes (w/ 10-second grace period) to read one poem. Points will be deducted from the total score for time overage.
- The poet may not use props, costumes or musical instruments.
- Of the scores the poet received from the five judges, the high and low scores are dropped and the middle three are added together, giving the poet a total score of 0-30.
- The poems can only be performed by one person.
Who can compete at the Last Chance Slam?
Competition at WOWps is limited to poets who live their lives as women. Qualified poets include female assigned or identified individuals who are PSi members and are 18+ years of age, including gender non-conforming individuals.
- Poet check in is at 6:50pm, sharp.
- Poets must be present at the time of draw in order to compete in the Last Chance Slam. Poets may not send a proxy to draw for them.
- Once draw happens, the order of the first round is set and will not be changed.
- The winner of the Last Chance Slam must be a current member of Poetry Slam Inc. in order to participate in Women of the World Poetry Slam 2016.
Please see SCHEDULE for event details.