Women of the World Poetry Slam is not just a poetry competition and festival for Poetry Slam Inc. members over the age of 18, we welcome poets of all ages to come poem with us. Being backed by Pratt Institute, all daytime* events are open to the public of all ages. We are excited to listen to youth poets voices at the Youth Poetry Slam.
On Saturday, March 12th, WOWPS will host a Youth Poetry Slam:
- Check in at 12:30pm: sign up is first come, poets may not send a proxy.
- Poets do not have to live in Brooklyn to enter the Youth Poetry Slam.
- Competition at WOWps is limited to poets who live their lives as women. Qualified poets include female assigned or identified individuals who are 20 years of age and younger, including gender non-conforming individuals.
- The winner of the Youth Poetry Slam will perform on Final Stage.
What are the rules?
- Each poem must be of the poet’s own construction;
- Each poet gets three minutes (plus a ten-second grace period) to read one poem. If the poet goes over time, points will be deducted from the total score.
- The poet may not use props, costumes or musical instruments;
- Of the scores the poet received from the five judges, the high and low scores are dropped and the middle three are added together, giving the poet a total score of 0-30.
*Late night events after 10pm are held off site and subject to the establishments rules on minimum age to enter. It is likely that late night events will be 21+ to attend.